You know, I figured that it was about dang time I wrote a blog post dedicated to the whole email list building thing.
I’m always babbling about how important growing your e-mail list is if you want to have a profitable online business and I’ve shared strategies for list building in my webinars but ... I haven’t actually laid it all out in a blog post!
So buckle your bedazzled seatbelt, because we’re heading into …
THE LIST BUILDING ZONE.
(Sorry, I’m off to an extra corny start apparently!)
And if you'd prefer watching a short and actionable 10 minute VIDEO instead of reading through a blog post then you're in luck! Because ... well ... here you go. 😛
Wanna check out the free to the Z masterclass that I mention in the video? You can do that by clicking on that irresistibly bright pink button below!
But if you'd prefer to just grab a cup of coffee and to keep on reading ...
Then let's do this.
BUT FIRST THINGS FIRST … WHY THE HECK DO YOU EVE NEED AN EMAIL LIST? WELL ... HERE'S WHY:
- Your e-mails are the ONE direct connection that you have control over with your audience. The rules and algorithms for social media platforms are always annoyingly changing, right? You could put all of your eggs into the Facebook basket and then Facebook could kick the bucket tomorrow. (Not likely, but still!)
- Your audience is way more likely to see your e-mail than your social media post. You probably already know how distracting that social media can be when it comes to all of the endless notifications, plus many platforms choose which posts are the most “important” for you to see. But your email? It will be patiently sitting in the inbox, just waiting to be opened! PLUS unlike social media algorithms, your inbox doesn't pick and choose what it "thinks" you'd like to see the most.
- They’re personal. Even if you’re writing to a list of 15,000 people, you can (and should) make it feel as though you’re talking to just ONE person. E-mails are a wonderful opportunity to connect with your audience and build a relationship with them, which is where the whole trust thing starts to develop. (And having a relationship + trust is rather essential for most people before they want to purchase from you!)
- More opportunity to be awesome and sell. Because of the reasons listed above, sending value-filled e-mails can be great for making sales. They give you the opportunity to be extra helpful, extra personal and extra awesome!
So … take it from someone who ignored starting her list for YEARS and then ignored growing it for another 2 years: you need to focus on building your e-mail list.
I would not have a sustainable online business that's fueled almost exclusively by passive income with it!
I think we’ve established that you really need one, yeah? (Please be nodding yes!) Perfect. So now let’s get into the whole e-mail list growing part!
Are you ready to get down to business? Without further ado, here are the 7 strategies that I use to get around 3,000+ new e-mail subscribers each month:
1. BUILD A STRONG BUSINESS FOUNDATION AND GET MORE QUALITY TRAFFIC.
Everything I’m going to list below would not have been (and continue to be) nearly as effective if I had ignored building a strong business foundation FIRST.
Your foundation is all about prepping your website for getting the RIGHT kind of traffic, and then actually getting more traffic.
After all, if you’re not getting enough traffic to your site, then you’re not gonna have very many people there to sign up for your list. Are ya with me?
Your foundation includes things like ...
- Making sure that you have a CLEAR purpose for your business.
- Making sure you know exactly who your dream customer is (this short video right here will help you!) and then clearly communicating WHO your website is for ON your actual site.
- Having a professional looking website that doesn't look like crap. (Crap = no good.)
- Having a strong, consistent brand (yup, have a free workshop for that too!)
Okay. Have you built a strong foundation yet? Because I'm a total broken record when it comes to having a strong foundation in place first.
So ... you have one, yes?
2. HAVE CONTENT UPGRADES, AND LOTS OF'EM.
Ah yes, content upgrades. Those delightful little pieces of bonus content that you offer within a blog post in exchange for someone’s e-mail address!
I don’t mean offering just one or two, I mean offering as many as humanly possible to go with your blog posts (even if it’s just something simple like a checklist or a PDF version of your blog post.) Focus on creating as many as you can, baby!
The more the merrier.
I've got tons of content upgrades throughout my website!
(We're talking all over, baby!)
And don’t forget to make your content upgrade directly related to the purpose of your blog post! Your content upgrade should make sense by enhancing the blog post, not just be some random thing that you stick in for the sake of having a content upgrade.
Oh! (Just one more thing.) If you’re feeling overwhelmed by the number of content upgrades that you need to make, simply start with your most popular blog posts first.
Go to Google Analytics to see what your top 5 most popular blog posts are and then create stellar goodies for those. Totally doable, right? Right!
Also remember that you can RE-USE the same content upgrade in multiple places just as long as it's relevant and makes sense!
After all, there's no use in creating 10 different content upgrades when you can save LOADS of time by re-using the same one.
3. INCLUDE OBVIOUS AND ACCESSIBLE OPT-INS ALL OVER YOUR WEBSITE.
If you look at my website, you’ll notice that it’s chalk full of opt-ins with strong call to actions! Like ... everywhere.
Why, even the main homepage header itself is a juicy opt-in!
And guess what? Pretty much every other link and button leads to even MORE opt-ins. It's like ... a path of never-ending opt-ins.
Now brace yourself because this may come as a shock but ... people don't want to look for your opt-ins. You need to make them both obvious and abundant, baby!
(Preferably with strong, personality-filled call to actions.)
Every place on your site should include at least 2 - 3 obvious places where people can opt-in for your email list where they recive something juicy.
4. USE A LANDING PAGE (AKA A "WELCOME MAT.")
Yo ... this one works really well for me!
I created a well branded landing page for my value-filled freebie and set it as my homepage (so that it was the first thing that people saw upon arriving to my site.)
For example ...
This particular landing page converted at almost 70%, which means that 70% of the people who came to my site opted onto my e-mail list! I mean ... woah.
A few things to note about that landing page (aka welcome mat):
- It's well branded with my brand's specific colors and fonts.
- It has a high quality, well branded photo that grabs people's attention
- It only gives people 2 options; continue onto my website or grab the free goody bag. (So no other links or buttons to distract people!)
- It tells people the benefits of opting in; they'll feel confident, have fun and make moo-lah! (All of which are nice things to have and feel, right?)
- It has a strong call to action (aka "CTA"): "Grab your free webinar goodies!" Enticing, eh? I mean ... who doesn't want free goodies?!
Plus, creating a welcome mat is super fast and easy. (Especially if you use Squarespace which gives you the option to add a cover photo!) I probably created this one in about 15 minutes.
5. DO WEBINARS AND JOINT VENTURE WEBINARS.
I used to be against doing webinars (aka live workshops) for a long time.
I was terrified at the idea of broadcasting live, pee-your-pants scared of trying to sell anything, dumbfounded by the tech and nervous that no one would bother showing up.
But I kept hearing about how amazing they were for a bazillion things (like list building), so I got over my excuses and actually DID ONE.
And oh baby, have they grown my list like a mint plant on steroids!
(Mint plants grow really fast, incase you were wondering.) :P
The proof is in the pudding (chocolate flavored, of course):
I discovered that not only are webinars great for growing your online business much faster, they're also really freak'in super duper fun! :D
If you want help getting started with webinars, I've got a free crash course for creative entrepreneurs which you're welcome to enroll in below.
Doing any sort of webinar will help you with your list building! (Yes, even if you're starting from zero!) Because remember ...we ALL start from zero.
However, doing joint venture webinars will grow your list even faster because you will be getting in front of an entirely new audience!
Two people promoting to two separate email lists and audiences = way more brand new subscribers for you.
6. PROMOTE YOUR AWESOME FREE STUFF MORE THAN YOUR AWESOME PAID STUFF!
Do you have some nifty paid stuff that you offer?
But do you know what's even better than promoting your nifty paid stuff? Promoting your nifty free stuff.
Because as awesome as your paid content might be, most people aren't going to want to jump the gun and buy from you right away. (As nice as that would be!)
Because most people need to develop a relationship with you first. They need to like you, trust you and know that you can provide them with actual value.
:::starts getting all riled up:::
After all, there's a lot of fluff and filler in this world and sleazy people who just want to take your money! :
::pounds desk passionately:::
(See what I did there?) ;-)
Think of it this way: people are WAY more likely to check out your amazing FREE stuff rather than your amazing PAID stuff.
AND, people are also way more likely to SHARE your free stuff!
SO my dear friend, I implore you: please promote your awesome free stuff way more than your paid stuff.
7. DO AN EPIC GIVEAWAY!
Want yet another way to grow your list even faster?
Why, of course you do!
(Sorry, I can be a bit presumptuous sometimes.)
Assuming you do, then doing an giveaway is a great way to build your list quickly.
Better yet, invite other people in your industry (who have the same audience) to partner up and do the giveaway with you!
When I was starting out with email list building, I teamed up with several creative women who were in my industry to give away a bunch of goodies and we got over 1,200 new subscribers during that 2 week period. Hot dang!
For example ...
Plus, giveaways are just plain fun.
(Now I suddenly have the strong urge to go throw colorful confetti all over the place!)
... Which ... I'm sure would be really fun to clean up later. NOT.
Hop tip for doing giveaways: It's always nice to send a welcome email (packed with tons of free value!) to the giveaway entrants who got onto your email list shortly after the giveaway ends. This helps people remember who the heck you are and why they're on your list, PLUS it gives you the opportunity to establish a relationship with them. Even though they might not have won the giveaway, you can still surprise them with something awesome for free! :-)
So if your list growth is feeling rather stagnant (like mine was for 2 years!) then you should definitely give these 7 strategies a try.
(While of course making sure that you do step number ONE first!)
Yes, I sound like a broken record when it comes to building a strong foundation. #sorrynotsorry #whoinventedhashtagsanyway #whyamiusingthemhere #ineedhelp
AND IF YOU'D LIKE TO CREATE THE PERFECT FREEBIE (AKA SOMETHING THAT YOUR AUDIENCE ACTUALLY WANTS) TO GROW YOUR EMAIL LIST WITH ...
Since this post is about all things email listing, if you'd like step-by-step help with creating the perfect freebie to grow your email list + business with ...
It's the Ignite Your List challenge and it's got a 4 part video masterclass series, specific action steps and extra bonus content all delivered straight to your inbox, baby! :D
It'll walk you through how to do things like ...
- How to create the perfect freebie to provide value and attract the RIGHT people to your business (and straight onto your email list!) ;-)
- The fastest ways to get traffic to your freebie (without using paid ads. BOOM!)
- What to actually send your subscribers to build relationships and make sales
Awesomely enough, tons of people who have taken the challenge have started seeing real growth + results in a matter of days! (Which is pretty dang exciting, if you ask me.)
And now ... you made it to the end of this post!!!
DID YOU FIND THIS POST HELPFUL? IF SO, BE A SPARKLY UNICORN BY SHARING IT ON PINTEREST! :D
Didn't you know that one of the traits of a unicorn is to share?
No but really, I'd sincerely appreciate it. :-)
To share on Pinterest, just hover over the photo below and click on the little "P!"
What's your favorite list building strategy? Did I miss one of your favorites?
And now ... it's time to get a work-out in even though I'd much rather binge watch Mad Men while eating mint chip ice cream (just being honest.)