When I first started blogging back in 2006 (holy crap that's almost a DECADE ago!) my only real purpose was to share bits of my life online.
It was basically an online journal with a few pictures, and if you'd have asked me what my blog's purpose was, I probably just would've said, "Uhhhh, to share random tidbits about my life and whatever thoughts are crossing my mind! Oh and photos of my CAT."
But blogging has completely exploded since I started back in 2006.
Everyone and their mother seems to be starting one, and why not?!
For many people (myself included), blogging is turning into a legitimate (and profitable) career, and the possibilities are pretty much endless!
Bloggers now adays are creating online courses, making and selling digital products, writing books, working for magazines, developing product lines, traveling, teaching and the list goes on!
I mean ... I get excited just typing about it, haha!
If you have a blog, or are thinking about starting one, then it's important to define your blog's purpose if you want it to be profitable.
I'm not gonna lie ... it hasn't been until recently that I've truly been able to define my own blog's purpose!
(Yes, it only took about 8 years, so what? Better late than never right?!)
So why do you need to get super CLEAR on your blog's purpose? Because if you don't, then you'll experience delightful issues like ...
- You'll have no direction. No goal in mind which makes it hard to focus. You'll be wandering around aimlessly like a poor dazed and confused person and your content will probably be all over the place!
- Your audience will be confused. If your content is all over the place, then your audience will probably get to your blog, feel confused, and then leave. Confused.
- Because your content will probably be all over the place, it will be difficult for you to develop a loyal group of readers that are interested in what you have to offer. I mean ... if you're writing about your personal life one second, a dessert recipe the next, doing movie reviews and sharing information, going on a political rant one day and then doing an outfit post the following day, you MIGHT have a hard time finding a person whose really interested enough in all those things to keep coming back! Just say'in.
- You'll burn out quickly. If you don't know where you're going or what you truly stand for, it will be hard to remain motivated. (Trust me, I've been there!)
- You'll likely be following a "template" of what another successful blogger is doing and will become frustrated when that same success doesn't happen for you. (Been there too!)
- You'll get overwhelmed. Without a clear purpose, you're likely to just blog about anything and everything and that can lead to overwhelm. Yes ... there was a time where I tried to do DIY, fashion, business tips, photography, life stories, storm chasing and about a billion other things all at once. The results weren't so pretty!
Having a clear purpose for your blog will give you FOCUS.
And if you want to turn your blog into a profitable business, then having a clear and consistent focus is really important! Mmmkay?
When you have a clear purpose, your content will be stronger, your goals will become more defined, people will know what you're all about and you can develop a tribe of readers!
Just like you wouldn't want to start a business without knowing what it's purpose is, you need to treat your blog the same way.
(Unless of course you are doing it purely just as a personal hobby.)
So if you're struggling to define your blog's purpose, HOW can you figure it out?
1. Download my handy (and free) workbook!
Oh yes, it's fun adult homework time! :D
I created a free workbook just for you and it'll walk you through exactly how to define the purpose of your business / blog step-by-step.
Yes ... it's pretty snazzy IF I do say so myself!
And not only that, but it'll also walk you through exactly how to get clear on your ideal audience, too. (So you can create awesome content with them in mind!)
Once you've filled out the workbook and you're clear on the purpose of your blog / business and exactly who your ideal audience is, then move onto the next step.
Woo hoo! :D
2. Create a tagline.
Yes, I probably sound like a broken record when I talk about the importance of business statements and taglines, but they really are important!
Force yourself to summarize your blog's purpose into just 1-2 sentences.
A good tagline should summarize exactly what your blog / business is all about, and exactly who it's for.
For example, mine would be "For creative entrepreneurs who want to have fun and create a profitable online business."
3. Don't be afraid to make changes.
Your passions and interests might change over time, and that's perfectly okay!
Let your blog / business grow with you.
If you blog for a long time, this will probably happen. And if you THINK you might enjoy blogging about a particular subject but find that you actually don't like it, that's okay too!
Figure out what you enjoy and what works for you. There's always room to grow, yo.
(That rhymed ... woo hoo!)
Speaking of rhyming, that reminds me of this hilarious clip from 'Never Been Kissed' which I quote all the time ...
4. And if you want to turn your blog into a profitable business ...
*** WARNING: The above blog post is ridiculously juicy and occasionally, drowning from said juice can occur. Please read responsibly.***
Hehehe. Was that weird? Sorry.
And if you found this post to be helpful, why not be the bomb diggity by sharing it on Pinterest?
That would seriuosly be the bees knees.
(Where the heck does that expression come from, anyway?!)
To share on Pinterest, just hover over the photo below and click on the little "P!"
What about you? Is discovering your blog's purpose something you've struggled with in the past? How did you get past that? Do share, darling!